Our CNG trucks are a breath of fresh air for those who live, work, and play in the cities we service!
Athens Services’ environmentally friendly fleet of CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) trucks allow us to do our jobs in the cleanest, quietest and most environmentally friendly manner.
At Athens Services we continue to invest in converting our collection fleet with Alternative Fuel applications. It is the right choice for the health of our customers, our workers, and the environment. Even now, the cities of Redondo Beach and Altadena are serviced only by CNG collection vehicles. Athens also has one of the largest fleets of street-sweeping trucks in the waste industry, all of which are powered by alternative fuels.
What is CNG?
CNG is a fossil fuel substitute for regular gasoline, diesel or propane. It is a safer, more environmentally clean, and less expensive alternative.
The Benefits of CNG
- Less occupational exposure and health related issues associated with diesel exhaust
- Reduced petroleum costs and consumption
- Decreased noise pollution given quieter engines
- Extended vehicle life
- Cleaner Burning Fuel = Cleaner Air
- Reduces approximately 90% carbon monoxide emissions
- Produces 22% less greenhouse gas emissions
- Emits fewer harmful air pollutants (such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and carbon dioxide)
- Decreases ozone-forming emissions by 80% on average (compared to traditional petroleum based gasoline)
By utilizing clean-fuel trucks, Athens will assist in California meeting its goal of reducing current greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by the year 2020, as established under Assembly Bill 32.
“We are doing what we can to help our communities reduce air and noise pollution,” said Gary Clifford, Chief Operating Officer for Athens Services. “We don’t want to wait. We want to be environmentally responsible and will continue to invest in clean air technologies. It’s a big investment for us, but we feel it’s worth it!”